Wednesday 31 December 2008

ignostisism

I think I'm very probably an ignostic. I don't know if god/goddess/gods exist, and I really don't care.

questions about the existance of deities are meaningless, because we don't have a true definition of what a god is.

There is no clear way to tell whether there is a god or not. we'll find out when we die anyway. if there is/are god/s, then they/he/she/it can't care much about us because he/she/it/they ignores us anyway.

That's not to say there isn't some kind of afterlife. I've had paranormal experiences in my time, but that does not mean there is a god, and quite frankly I don't care. Why should I? If there is a god, then he/she/it will not punish me for simply using my free will (which was theoretically given by the supposed creator/s in the first place), and if there is no supreme deity then I won't be effected in any way,shape or form. It's a win-win.

That doesn't mean I will bow down and worship the god/goddess/gods if they do exist. I'm an Anarchist. I'm against there being authorities and hierarchies in the first place .

If I had a son I wouldn't want him to worship me, even though I would have helped create him. Same concept. Creating the universe entitles a bit of respect, but that's the difference between illegitimate authority and legitimate authority. Someone who is a legitimate authority is someone who is an expert in something and you can go to them for advice, but they have no right to force you to do want they think is right. an illegitimate authority is someone who forces you,through coercion(which is immoral), to do what they say. This is part of the argument against government.

Government is like a big playground bully, but with worse consequences. The worst a bully can do is rough one or two people up and and steal their break time snack. A government has armies, steals money off you (through tax,because tax is theft) and if you refuse, it can either put you in gaol (which is immoral in itself) or steal more money from you in the form of fines.

Governments kill you through wars and are bad news all round. does all this make god a legitimate authority? he/she/it/they don't force you to do stuff you don't want you to, but god doesn't give you advise if you ask either. people who pray are (as far as I can tell) talking to themselves.

Even then though, there is no way to tell whether the prayer has been answered because even if things go the way the person wanted that could just be good luck. there is no real way to know if god exists and there is no fixed way to define what a god IS. different forms of theism have different definitions. Most people use the definition of the monotheistic religions , but what about those people who aren't monotheistic? there are so many different alternatives.

why do atheists attack theists? if someone wants to believe in something, go ahead-knock yourself out. As long as you don't force your beliefs on other people and you don't use it as an excuse to hurt people. this is why I'm against people like Richard Dawkins. He is just as bad as the religious nut-jobs (preachers and door knockers). believe or disbelieve in god, just don't force it on me or anyone else.

If it's good for you, then great- just don't bother me with it. I believe in freedom and liberty.
I will not rule and I will not be ruled over,to paraphrase Tucker.

I am a ignostic, I am a mutualist and I am an anarchist. Freedom to all.

1 comment:

Stephen Nelson said...

Much respect for these thoughts, Mike. As believer, let me say it's all still a fuckin mystery. Religion however does provide a framework to embrace that mystery and that's a pretty human endeavour.

Great photomontages on this sight!!